—— Chocolate Icing Ingredients ——
2/3 Cup BBF* Organic Agave
1/2 Cup BBF* Naturally Refined Organic Coconut Oil
1/3 Cup cream, milk, or hot water
2/3 Cup BBF* Superfood® Organic Cacao
—— Cake Ingredients ——
1 3/4 Cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 Cup BBF* Superfood® Organic Cacao
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/3 Cup BBF* Organic Agave
1 Cup low-fat milk
1/2 Cup BBF* Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
2 tsp Vanilla
1 Cup water (boiling)
1. Mix cream and cocoa with hand mixer or in a blender until smooth and creamy.
2. Add coconut BBF* Naturally Refined Organic Coconut Oil and BBF* Organic Agave and mix for another minute or two until smooth.
3. Refrigerate icing while cake is cooking and cooling.
4. Spread icing on cake after cake has cooled
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Combine wet ingredients--excluding hot water--in a separate bowl.
4. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients mixing the hot water in last.
5. Beat with hand mixer for 2 minutes. Batter will be thin.
6. Pour batter into either two 9 inch rounds or one 9 x 13 inch pan (or you can make cupcakes – filling each about 2/3 full).
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Let cool for 30 minutes before icing. Makes 16 servings.
For the icing, we recommend blending the cocoa, cream, coconut oil and agave in a blender until creamy smooth. If you use water or milk in lieu of cream, the icing will be a dark chocolate flavor. I prefer the dark chocolate—as will most adults—but children seem to prefer the milk chocolate flavor. Both are delicious.
BBF* = BetterBody Foods