8 Qts water
2 Cup coarse salt
2/3 Cup BBF Organic Agave
2 bunches fresh thyme
1 Tbsp rosemary
8 large garlic cloves, peeled
2 Tbsp coarse black pepper
2 lemons, halved and juiced
2 Tbsp BBF Naturally Refined Avocado Oil
5 Cup chicken broth
GRAVY INGREDIENTS -
2 Tbsp corn starch
4-6 oz water
Preparing the Bird:
1. Line extra-large stockpot with large plastic bag (30-gallon capacity). Rinse turkey and place in stockpot lined with plastic bag.
2. In a blender, combine 1 quart of water, salt, agave, 1 bunch of fresh thyme, rosemary (reserve 1 tsp.), garlic and pepper. Blend and pour over turkey with remaining water (7 quarts). Gather bag tightly around turkey so that the turkey is evenly covered with brine. Refrigerate turkey in brine for 12 - 18 hours.
Cooking the Bird:
1. Preheat to 350°F. Position rack in bottom third of oven. Drain turkey well; discard brine and pat dry inside and out.
2. Squeeze lemon juice into main cavity. Add lemon rinds and 1 bunch fresh thyme to main cavity.
3. Tuck wings under turkey and tie legs together to hold shape. Place turkey on rack set in large roasting pan. Brush turkey with oil and top with reserved rosemary.
4. Roast turkey for 1 hour and baste with 1 cup chicken broth and continue to baste with chicken broth every 30 minutes until turkey is deep brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180°F, about 2 1/2 hours. If turkey begins to burn on top, cover with aluminum foil. Transfer turkey to platter. Tent turkey loosely with foil and let stand 30 minutes. Pour pan juices into large glass measuring cup. Spoon off fat; reserve juices.
Making the Gravy:
1. Pour reserve juices into a large pan and bring to a simmer.
2. Mix cornstarch with water and whisk into the juices. Stir until juices thicken into gravy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 20 servings
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.