For the roasted tomatoes:
3 lbs roma or plum tomatoes, cut in half
8 cloves garlic, peeled
3 Tbsp avocado oil
Freshly ground salt and peppe
For the caramelized onions:
1/2 Tbsp avocado oil
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
Additions to the soup:
1/2 cup packed basil leaves
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1-2 cups water or vegetarian broth, depending on how thick you want the soup
Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
Optional add ins:
Oatsome oat milk for a creamy vegan soup
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place halved tomatoes and garlic cloves on the baking sheet and drizzle with 3
tablespoons of avocado oil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven
for 40-45 minutes.
3. While the tomatoes are roasting, you can make the caramelized onions: Add 1/2
tablespoon avocado oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Add the onion slices
and stir to coat the onions with avocado oil. Cook, stirring occasionally. Check onions every 5-10 minutes until they have completely caramelized and turned golden in color. This usually takes 20 minutes.
4. Once tomatoes and garlic are done roasting, allow them to cool for 10 minutes, then add them to a food processor or high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
5. Next add basil and caramelized onions and blend again. Alternatively, you can add the
tomatoes to the large pot and use an immersion blender. It's really just about what you
have available to you.
6. After blending, transfer back to pot, turn to medium low heat and add in oregano,
vegetarian broth and salt and pepper to taste. From there you can add in any additional
add-ons you want (as listed in the ingredients).
7.Allow tomato soup to simmer 10 minutes before serving. To serve, garnish with vegan cheese and or serve with a vegan grilled cheese, if desired.